For asylum seekers, the City University of London is offering this scholarship to give equal access to higher education for forced immigrants in the UK. The City Cares Sanctuary scholarship covers full tuition and grants to help with the cost of living for the students.
The city cares sanctuary scholarship also provides a grant equivalent to a full maintenance loan from Student Finance England to cover the cost of living for successful applicants.
Table of Contents
Benefits Of Sanctuary Scholarship
1. Full tuition for each year of undergraduate studies including a sandwich year.
2. Financial support towards study costs. That is for travel costs or any other costs that help make your studies effective, IT equipment, and books.
3. City Cares Program: This provides a designated staff member to offer support and guidance throughout the study duration.
Description Of The Sanctuary Scholarship
|Numbers Of Awards||3|
Eligibility Of Sanctuary Scholarship
You can apply for this scholarship if:
1. You have submitted an application to the UK Home Office for asylum or humanitarian protection
2. You have been granted Limited Leave To Remain or any other form of temporary status as a result of the asylum application.
3. You are the spouse or a civil partner of someone who has been granted a Limited Leave to Remain.
4. You are refused asylum seeker with new claims submitted at the UK Home for Asylum or humanitarian protection.
5. You have an immigration status to Leave as an Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Child (UASC leave)
Note: Spouses/civil partners must have been your spouse/civil partner on the date they made an asylum application. If you’re a dependant of someone, you must have been aged under 18 on the date they made an asylum application.
In addition to the above-listed eligibility criteria, applicants must also:
1. Received a conditional or unconditional offer of full-time undergraduate studies having applied through UCAS
2. Be a new full-time entrant. That means those starting in year 2, year 3, and year 4 are not eligible.
3. Currently attending a college, community, or any voluntary group that will act as a reference in support of your application.
4. Must not hold any undergraduate/postgraduate degree awarded in the UK
5. Be uneligible for Tuition Fee Loans or Maintenance Loans from Student Finance England/Wales/NI/SAAS due to your status as an immigrant
6. If you are applying for a program that requires you to pass a DBS check in order to undertake clinical placements and participate in the course, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary documentation. Failure to pass the DBS checks will result in a suspension/withdrawal from the program.
7. Be willing to champion a course of encouraging future students to progress to higher education through the university.
How To Apply for Sanctuary Scholarship
Once you receive an offer either conditional or unconditional to undertake an undergraduate degree at the University, you can go ahead to submit an application for the scholarship here. However, I will urge you to read the guidance notes and other necessary details about the scholarship here before proceeding with the application.
Documentations to add to your application form:
1. A copy of your University offer letter
2. The name and contact details of a referee from someone at your school, college, community, or voluntary group
3. Evidence of your current immigration status
Note: In case your circumstances change, you must let the University know if you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a result of an asylum application.
If this happens, your scholarship will end at the start of the next academic year. You’ll then be classed as a home (UK) student and be eligible for UK Government financial support such as a student loan.
The deadline for the City Cares Sanctuary Scholarship 2023/24 is between May and June as this year’s application is already closed, keep your eyes on the University’s scholarship page for the subsequent awards opening date. There are other undergraduate scholarships awaiting your application Top 15 Fully-Funded Undergraduate Scholarships For African Students 2022-2023