The Gates Scholarship USA is open till mid-September for students with superior academic performance, minorities, high graduates, and high school seniors from low-income backgrounds that would otherwise fail to attain higher education without the scholarship.
The Gates scholarship does not only fund the education of their scholars, but it also engages both the scholars and their institutions in a variety of ways, ensuring they have access to the resources and services they need to make the best of their scholarships from entry to graduation and transition to their chosen careers.
About The Gates Scholarship USA
Scholars of the gates scholarship receive full funding for the full cost of attendance which encompasses the tuition, fees, books, room, transportation, and other personal costs if applicable. This is for scholars who have none of those covered by any other financial aid and the expected family contribution as determined by the Free Application for Federal Students Aid [ FAFSA]
Description Of The Gates Scholarship USA
Level Of Study/Scholarship: Undergraduate
Type Of Scholarship: fully-funded need and merit-based.
Number Of Awards: 300 per year
Institutions: Accredited US-based not-for-profit, private, or public four-year university.
Duration Of Studies: 4 years
Benefits Of The Gates Scholarship USA
Apart from the full funding available to scholars of the Gates scholarship, they will have other benefits such as:
- Career services
- Leadership, training, and more.
Eligibility Of TGS USA
1. Applicants must be from at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American-Indian/Alaska, Asian-Pacific Islander American, or Hispanic American.
2. Must be a high school senior
3. Pell Grant eligible
4. Must be a US citizen, national or permanent resident.
5. Must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
6. Must plan to enroll full-time in a 4-year degree program at any US-based accredited not-for-profit, private or public university.
To be an ideal candidate for this scholarship, you must demonstrate the following:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc
How To Apply For The Gates Scholarship USA
The first phase of this scholarship application which is a short questionnaire launches at the end of your junior year in July and closes in mid-September. To begin the process, visit thegatescholarship.org and create a MyTGS profile to apply.
December: 2,000 semi-finalists will be selected and invited to complete phase two of the application process. Phase two of the application process includes an additional questionnaire, essays, updated transcripts, and recommendations.
January: This is the deadline for qualifying semi-finalists to complete phase two of the scholarship application process.
March: 600 finalists will be selected in March to proceed to the final phase at which point they will be required to undergo in-person or video-conference interviews.
April: TGS will finally announce the 300 successful scholars. These Gate scholars will be required to submit verification documents to finalize the award.
And as l stated in the previous article about the Gates scholarship USA 2023/2024, if you don’t meet the ethnicity criteria, you can only follow the steps of naturalization and naturalize in the US if you have plans of applying for this scholarship.