There are always scholarships for undergraduate studies abroad funds that go untapped every year. A fund that can help you cushion your education abroad is forever waiting while your dream of studying abroad fades day by day. Either you don’t locate them or you don’t follow the right procedures in applying for them.
Believe it or not, there is a sheer number of funding opportunities made available for anyone eligible to get access to quality education at any cost anywhere in the world.
In this article, I listed many scholarships for undergraduate studies abroad, requirements and vital pieces of information that you will need to know before commencing your application package.
Scholarships For Undergraduate Studies Abroad
1. QS Undergraduate Scholarship
Are you keen on trying to transform the world and contributing to the UN’s 17 sustainable development goals? This QS undergraduate scholarship will equip you with the knowledge and the education needed.
• You must be ready to study at a university featured in a QS ranking at any position.
• You must be going to study at bachelor or undergraduate level.
• You must have an offer from a university by the time of selecting the winner in May 2023.
• You must start your first year of study in the next academic year.
The scholarship is valued at $5k. The application deadline is 30th April 2023 and you can apply here
2. Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
This is a grant program by the U.S Department of States for students of limited financial means. It was put in place to help those special students study or intern abroad thereby gaining skills critical to the U.S’s security and economic competitiveness.
The program is open to only U.S citizens already receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college to study and intern. Therefore one obvious eligibility criterion is being on the Federal Pell Grant funding at the time of your application fir this scholarship. Apart from that, the eligibility criteria are below.
• Must be a US citizen.
• In the process of applying to or being accepted to a credit-bearing study internship program or a virtual international program.
• Undergraduate in good standing at a credited institution in the United States [ including both two-year and four-year institutions.
It is valued at $5k and the deadline is October 6th 2022. You can apply here.
3. Boren Awards: Boren Language Scholarship.
This fund is to fund study abroad in world regions critical to the US interest. The scholars of this award study a wide range of critical languages including Arabic, Portuguese, Swahili and Chinese.
• Applicant must be a US citizen at the time of the national application deadline.
• Must be a high school graduate or have earned a GED.
• At least 18 years of age or older at the time national application deadline.
• Planning an oversea program outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
The program is valued at $25k with a deadline of January 26th 2023, You can also check other info and apply here
4. Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
This is another always available grant for undergraduate studies abroad. One hundred and five $1,000 grants are made available each and every year to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields abroad.
• You must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
• You must have to or accepted into an accredited study abroad program before the session deadline and provide a letter of acceptance or a letter confirming your application on official letterhead.
• You must not be a sitting Phi Kappa Phi board member, divisional vice president, or member of the study board award committee or society employee.
• Applicants do not have to be Society members but must attend an institution with an active Phi Kappa Phi chapter.
This award is valued at $1k and though the application is closed right now, you can keep an eye on their portal for the 2023 session.
5. The Ashley Soule Foundation Scholarship.
Ashley Soulé Conroy’s family is one of the top scholarships for undergraduate studies abroad that want to reward your desire to explore and experiment with different people and places and ways of living, just as the founder’s daughter has. That’s why they set up a scholarship for undergraduates in need: to change lives.
• Applicant must be a US citizen enrolled in a college or university.
• Have at least 30 hours of completed undergraduate credit by the time of the study abroad term’s start date
• Intend to study abroad in a program that is outside of the U.S.
• Be enrolling in a study abroad term (the days that you are actually enrolled in classes abroad) that is no shorter than 14 weeks.
• Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at their current institution, verifiable on their transcript.
This scholarship is valued at $4k, though it is currently on hold due to the COVID-19 travelling restrictions, 2023 is promised to get it back on the way again. Updates bout this scholarship will be available on their portal.
UBC’s International Scholars Program
The University Of British Columbia presents four need-and-merit-based awards. Across all these four awards, UBC offers approximately 50 scholarships each year. All of which fall under the category of scholarships for undergraduate studies abroad. However, you won’t be able to select which award you wish to receive when you submit your application – the team of the award board select which scholarship you are fit or eligible for. These scholarships are:
Karen McKellin International Leader Of Tomorrow Award.
This award recognizes international undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, exceptional leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service, and recognized achievement in other key areas.
2. Donald A. International Student Award.
This award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under challenging circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without significant financial assistance.
3. International Impact Award.
This award is offered to exceptional students who have expressed commitment to and solutions for social justice issues, climate change, equity and inclusion, societal health and wellness, and freedom of expression.
4. Vantage One Excellence Award
This award is offered by UBC Vantage College for academically outstanding international students who do not yet meet the English Language Admission Standard for direct admission to UBC. The awards range in value up to the full cost of a student’s academic program and living expenses.
Eligibility Criteria For The Program
• You must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
• UBC welcomes students from well recognised secondary schools or if you transferring from your first year at a post-secondary university.
• Yu must have graduated from High school not earlier than the month of June two years prior to the academic year you are applying.
• This must be your first undergraduate degree application.
• You must be academically outstanding [ achieve all A’s ]
• You must a level of financial need that would have prevented you from pursuing a degree at the UBC.
• And you must all UBC’s admission requirements
These are top of the list scholarships for undergraduate studies abroad that you stand a chance of winning provided you meet their admission requirements. We provided links to their portals for you to do more checks upon any of the awards you wish to go for as some may see changes as time goes on, application closure or application reopening.