Scholarships for international students in the US are mainly for developing countries all over the world. Parts of Europe and Africa form bigger parts.
The US is the destination 9 out of 10 students wanting to study abroad choose due to the top-notch and widely renowned education system and impacts. And when it comes to awarding scholarships for these students, the US government, Colleges and Universities, and institutions help bring dreams of studying at these schools to live for some people.
So, in this article, we present a list of the best and ever-ready scholarships for international students in the US which we highlighted in one of our previous articles. Read on and apply below.
US Government Scholarships For International Students.
Humphrey Fellowship Program.
Humphrey fellowship is a full grant that covers all related expenses for a year of professional educational enrichment to 200 experienced professionals from selected countries all over the world.
Awardees are selected based on their potential for leadership and commitment to public service in either public or private sector.
In this program, fellows can not choose the colleges or universities to attend, rather, they are assigned to participating universities based on their area of interest and professionalism.
Fields Of Study
• Agriculture and Rural Development
• Communications and journalism
• Economic management
• Finance and banking
• Higher Education administration
• HIV/AIDS Policy and prevention
• Human Resource Management
•Law and Human Rights
• Natural resource, environmental policy, and climate change.
• Public policy analysis and public administration.
• Substance Abuse Education, Treatment, and Prevention.
• Teaching of English as Foreign Language ( TEFL )
• Urban and Regional Planning
• Technology Policy and management.
• Human Trafficking Policy and Prevention.
• An undergraduate ( first university) degree.
• 5 years minimum professional experience.
• A record of public service in the community
• Good English both oral and written.
This program is currently closed. It is an annual program that starts from April to September each year. For more details, keep eye on the official scholarship website http://humphreyfellowship.org
Foreign Fulbright Students Program.
This program’s awards cover tuition, airfare, living stipend, textbooks, and health insurance for over 4,000 students who will love to pursue a master’s degree, or PhD in any subject each year.
It can also be awarded for non-degree postgraduate studies. The Fulbright scholarship is available to 155 developing countries yearly
Fields Of Study
All fields of study are welcomed under Fulbright even interdisciplinary ones.
This varies from country to country. Visit the scholarship website for more details on this scholarship.
Colleges And Universities Offering Scholarship For International Students.
Amherst College Scholarship
This scholarship package is sometimes called the ‘aid package’. This is because it sometimes includes employment (self-help) and gift aid ( grants and scholarships ).
Once admitted under this program, your financial issues are sorted, it is a needy financial aid program for financially unfit students.
Visit the scholarship website for more details on this award here
Berea College Scholarship
Berea provides 100% funding to 100% of students enrolled at the school each year for the first year of enrollment – a combined financial aid and scholarship to cover tuition, room, board, and fees. Then in the subsequent years, the international students are expected to save up to $1,000 towards their expenses each through the jobs the school provides them.
Fields Of Study
Bachelor’s degree in any subject.
Students admitted at Berea college are those of strong academic performance and must be needy. Students must score 20 or 30 on the CAT ( SAT equivalent) and have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 in a strong college-prep curriculum.
- Good community service, leadership quality, and level of motivation also count.
- High performance in 4 units of English – rhetoric, literature, and composition.
- High performance in 3 units of Mathematics – algebra l, algebra ll, and geometry.
- 2 units of Laboratory science
- 2 units of social science and history
- 2 units of foreign language.
Applications must be submitted before the end of November and checked on the school’s website when the application is opened.
Columbia College Scholarship.
This is a one-time cash grant of 15% to 100% tuition reduction award awarded to outstanding students from the US and internationally selected countries.
Columbia College has scores of categories under which students are awarded scholarships at the school, so for your eligibility inquiries, you can contact [email protected] or visit the school’s website for more information on the categories under which you fall.
Concordia College Scholarship
The school has prized contributions international students make on campus and has offered to offer partial financial assistance to international students based on academic ability and financial needs up to $28,000.
International students pay at least USD 23,000 (or more) per year, in addition to working to earn an additional $3,000 for spending money.
|Academics Year Cost ( Entry Term 2022 )||2022 – 2023|
|Fees ( health insurance, orientation, technology, and activity fees )||$2,466|
|Total Comprehensive Cost||$40,666|
|Additional Estimated Costs ( books, personal spending, and travels )||$4,400|
|Total Cost of attendance ( 8 months )||$45,066|
There are more categories of scholarship namely Gold, Silver, Montana, etc with different eligibility requirements on the website
Dartmouth College Scholarship
Dartmouth meets all demonstrated needs of all undergraduate admitted students including international ones with loans and scholarships which include a travel allowance to the US.
More financial aid detail is available for international students within your student aid application path, with their eligibility and field of study.
Colby-Sawyer College Scholarships
With Colby-Sawyer College Scholarship, international students are eligible for Academic Scholarship and Merits Award which can increase based on academic ability measures in GPA ranging from $15,000 to $28,000 per year.
With their early action award, you can win another $6,000 when you apply early for admission before the early action deadline.
Early Action Deadline:
Deadline: Must apply before December 1
Value: $6,000 per year
Early Action CHECKLIST
- Complete Colby-Sawyer’s First-Year Application or the Common Application
- Official high school transcript
- Recommendation (optional)
- Writing sample: see an application for essay topics
- SAT or ACT (optional)
However, the college doesn’t meet full financial aid for international students.
East Tennessee State University
ETSU for short is also an academic merits scholarship for new international students seeking a graduate or postgraduate degree.
$12,500 for undergraduate and $11,500 for graduate candidates per academic year.
- Apply for admission to ETSU ( undergraduate admissions, graduate admissions)
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 Visa information, J-1 Visa information).
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement.
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA on the US 4.0 scale (freshman applicants)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on the US 4.0 scale (undergraduate transfer applicants and graduate applicants)
- Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will receive notice of the award in their admission letter. Students who wish to accept the scholarship must complete and submit a scholarship acceptance form within three weeks from the date on the admissions letter.
Illinois Wesleyan University Scholarships.
Another academic merited scholarship offered to international students with great academic achievement and test scores on required entrance exams.
Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is making available the Merit-Based Scholarships, President’s Scholarships, and Need-Based Financial Aid to international students who are applying to enter the first year of bachelor’s programs offered by the University. In addition to merit scholarships, students may be eligible for IWU-funded scholarships, loans, and campus employment opportunities.
Fields Of Study
Bachelor’s degree in all subjects
Merit-based scholarship: Must be an international student with outstanding academic achievement and test scores on the required entrance exams.
President’s Scholarship: Highly qualified international students based on their talents, academic achievement, and interests.
Merit-based scholarship: Students who complete the scholarship applications are automatically considered. No other form application is needed.
Need-based financial aid: International students must submit the CSS PROFILE to be considered for need-based financial aid. The PROFILE provides a detailed analysis of an applicant’s financial resources.
It is necessary to visit the scholarship website to know every detail about the application and the deadline of this award.
Michigan State University International Scholarship.
At Michigan state university ( MSU), international students are awarded partial limited scholarships and grants to deserving students.
Students often seek support from non-MSU organizations that offer a scholarship, grants, and loan programs for international students.
Graduate students may be able to get funding from their academic departments. Graduate students can learn more about funding opportunities through their academic departments.
International students are not eligible for U.S. Federal Financial Aid programs, including government-subsidized student loans.
Gladly, there are other funds available for international students to get aid and support if eligible
New York Wagner Scholarship
Partial to full-tuition scholarship ranging from $25,000 to $47,000. This merit scholarship is awarded to limited admitted students each year, including international students.
On the merit-based scholarships list that Wagner offers, eligibility requirements differ. You can check the list here or visit the website.
How To Apply
Submit your online application for admission to NYU Wagner. These scholarships do not require you to submit an additional essay. Recipients are chosen based upon fit for the scholarship program and the strength of the application submitted.
Institutions Funding Scholarship For International Students In The US.
Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship.
JJWBS provides full scholarships for world bank member countries who are willing to go after development-related studies at the selected universities around the world.
Students can study at 8 participating USA Universities including Harvard University, John Hopkins University, University of Chicago, Cornell University, and Columbia University.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
The Aga Khan Foundation provides 50%, 50% loan basis through a very competitive application process every year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries with financial needs at any university around the world except those in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, and Norway.
Fields Of Study
Aga Khan gives priority to requests for master’s level courses but is ready to accept PhD programs. Short-term courses are not considered.
Geographical scope: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar, and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, the UK, USA, and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above-developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
Residency Requirements: The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals listed above who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
Age Limit: Students under age 30 are highly considered.
How To Apply
Completed applications should be returned to the agency from which the form was obtained. They should not be sent to Geneva. The deadline for submitting applications is 31 March, although internal deadlines may be earlier in certain countries. Applicants are advised to contact the local offices for internal deadline dates and requirements as these may vary from country to country.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
AAUW International Fellowship
AAUW formerly, the American Association Of University Women awards women who are non-American citizens and non-American residents full-time study or research in accredited institutions in the US at the graduate and postgraduate levels.
The scholarship includes: Masters/ Professional fellowship = $18,000
Doctorate fellowship: $20,000
Post Doctoral fellowship: $30,000.
To be eligible for an International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a nonimmigrant visa if residing in the U.S. Women who are currently, or expect to be during the fellowship year, a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen with the U.S. and another country are not eligible.
• Hold an academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by 15 November 2021.
• Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year
• Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
• Be proficient in English and confirm proficiency by submitting a valid ETS TOEFL* (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score or other acceptable verification.
• Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., PhD, Ed.D., D.B.A., D.M.) or an M.F.A. by November 15, 2021; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
• Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the U.S. during the fellowship year.
See the full eligibility criteria at the official website (link found below) for more details
How To Apply
Applications and submission of supporting documents are done online. The application deadline for AY 2022-2023 is 15 November 2022